VIDEO: Yuleba residents angry at house wreck left for a year
IMAGINE living next door to a pile of burnt rubble that used to be a house for a whole year?
That is the reality for Yuleba resident Lloyd Bellert, who is sick of waiting for the Maranoa Regional Council to clean up what has been deemed a health and safety risk.
Mr Bellert said no one from either Maranoa Regional Council or the Commonwealth Bank (who now owns the house) has even put a fence up in the year since it burnt to the ground.
He said he recently received a letter saying they had not touched it because of an asbestos risk.
"We live right next door and kids are walking right past it every day," Mr Bellert said.
"They closed the dump when asbestos was dumped, so why can't they do that for this?
"They said it would be done by March 6 and they haven't even looked at it."
Mr Bellert said the long grass behind the property houses snakes and the loose sheets of roofing could be dangerous if a storm were to hit.
He said something has to be done soon.
"I've been onto this council for months and I said to them that there hasn't been a fence around it, but apparently it's okay for them to close the dump down," he said.
"There was a fire on Charles St [in Roma last year] and within two days they had a fence around it.
"The thing is if it's out of sight, it's out of mind according to them."
Councillor Jan Chambers said it was the Commonwealth Bank's responsibility to clean it up and there had been an "unavoidable delay".
"As specific procedures must legally be undertaken to progress the clean-up, there has been an unavoidable delay with the debris removal," Cr Chambers said.
"The process has taken a little longer than usual as the party responsible for the land changed."