Toyota's new small SUV C-HR arrives priced from $26,990
TOYOTA has revealed a starting price of $26,990 before on-roads for its all-new C-HR small SUV.
The C-HR (meaning Coupe High Rider) - positioned between Toyota's Corolla hatch and RAV4 size-wise - will be offered in two grades: C-HR and C-HR Koba, with impressive equipment lists.
Toyota Australia expects the C-HR to sell incredibly strongly from its on-sale date this month, with waiting lists anticipated for the brand's first offering in the increasingly popular small SUV segment.
With sights squarely on the similar-sized Nissan Qashqai which starts at $25,990 before on-roads, Toyota is aiming the C-HR at a more premium type of buyer, so there's no price leader sub-$20k model on offer, such as segment leading Mazda CX-3 with its $19,990 sticker price for its entry level Neo.
We drove the C-HR on its European reveal last year, and found it was truly a game changing car for Toyota.
The C-HRs use a 85kW/185Nm 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine from launch, mated to a six-speed manual or CVT auto, and will be available in front- or all-wheel drive variants. The latter adds an extra $2000 to the purchase price.
With a strong emphasis on safety, advanced driver assist safety features will be standard on all Australian C-HRs, including a pre-collision system with autonomous emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, lane departure alert with steering control, automatic high beam and a reversing camera.
The C-HR Koba version features heated seats, a smart entry and start system, privacy glass, leather-accented upholstery and 18-inch alloy wheels.
In top spec AWD spec with CVT gearbox, the C-HR Koba is $35,290 before on-road costs.
Toyota Australia's executive director sales and marketing Tony Cramb said C-HR's design brings together the best aspects of a hatchback, a coupe and an SUV.
"C-HR will bring new customers to the Toyota brand - typically younger, image-conscious people who take a more emotional approach to purchasing a car compared with our more traditional customers," Mr Cramb said.
"Owners will appreciate C-HR's refined engine, its supple chassis that rides and handles well, its premium airy interior - and the bonus of excellent fuel economy," he said.
Toyota Australia says the brand-building C-HRs, built in Japan, should sell very strongly to private buyers. It expects to receive just over 6000 examples for sale here for the next year, and there's the expectation that demand will outstrip supply.
Toyota C-HR Australian pricing
C-HR - $26,990 (2WD manual)
C-HR - $28,990 (2WD CVT auto)
C-HR - $30,990 (AWD CVT auto)
C-HR Koba - $33,290 (2WD CVT auto)
C-HR KEY FEATURES
C-HR FWD MANUAL
· Toyota New Generation Architecture (TNGA) platform
· 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol engine
· Six-speed manual transmission:
o Switchable "intelligent" mode
· Pre-collision safety system
· Autonomous emergency braking
· Active cruise control
· Lane departure alert with steering assist
· Sway warning system
· Blind spot monitor
· Rear cross-traffic alert
· Reversing camera
· Seven airbags, including driver's knee airbag
· Vehicle stability and traction control
· Trailer sway control
· Anti-skid brakes
· Hill-start assist control
· Brake assist
· Electronic brake-force distribution
· Brake hold
· Advanced pitching control
· Front (4) and rear (4) parking sensors
· 17-inch alloy wheels
· Halogen projector-type headlamps
· LED daytime running lamps and fog lamps
· Rain-sensing wipers
· Roof-mounted spoiler
· Tailgate lip spoiler
· Satellite navigation#:
o SUNA Live Traffic*, safety alert, 4WD tracks, unsealed roads
· Dual-zone automatic air-conditioning
o 6.1-inch display audio with six speakers
o AM/FM radio, CD player, USB and AUX input
o Bluetooth®^ hands-free, music streaming, message, phone book
o Speech commands
· Toyota Link** connected mobility:
o Fuel finder, local search, destination download, Toyota help (all with "drive to" navigation capability)
o Weather, Pandora®##, travel times
· 4.2-inch colour multi-information display (MID)
· Premium steering wheel with audio, phone, MID and driving switches
· Tilt and telescopic steering column adjustment
· Premium gear-shift knob
· Electronic park brake
· 60/40 split-fold rear seat
· Auto power windows (all doors)
· Flush-mounted rear door handles
· Shark-fin antenna
· Roof-hinged tailgate
· Power folding heated exterior mirrors
· Auto-dimming interior mirror
· Driver and front-passenger sun visors
· Sporty fabric front seats with six-way manual adjustment
· Engine immobiliser
· "C-HR" puddle lamp
· 12V/120W power socket (centre console)
· Aerodynamic underbody panels
C-HR FWD CVT
· Multidrive S continuously variable transmission:
o Seven-speed sequential shift
· All-speed active cruise control
C-HR AWD CVT (in addition to FWD CVT features)
· Dynamic torque control part-time AWD system
C-HR KOBA FWD & AWD CVT (in addition to standard C-HR features)
· Smart entry
· Smart start
· LED headlamps
· LED rear combination lamps
· 18-inch machine-finished alloy wheels
· Heated, leather-accented seats
· Power lumbar adjustment (driver's seat)
· Nano-e air purifying
· Side and rear privacy glass
· Illuminated driver and front-passenger sun visors
· Illuminated door trim
· White or black two-tone roof option (with selected exterior colours)
C-HR Koba - $35,290 (AWD CVT auto)