Teenager tells of night he was slashed with sword

A TEENAGER yesterday told a court a Maryvale man slashed his back with a samurai sword after earlier threatening to cut his throat and pull out his nose ring with rusty pliers.

David Frank Bate, 55, is accused of cutting the then 16-year-old and his 15-year-old girlfriend with the sword in March last year.

He has pleaded not guilty to five charges related to the incident, including committing a malicious act with intent to do grievous bodily harm and assault.

The teenager told the Warwick District Court he and Bate met each other for the first time at a mutual friend's home on March 29, although they were known to each other.

The now 17-year-old said he approached Bate about allegations the teenager had stolen from him.

After a short conversation, Bate allegedly held a Swiss army knife to the boy's throat and threatened him.

The court heard Bate left the property and returned to his home shortly after that incident.

About four hours later - close to midnight - the 16-year-old and his 15-year-old girlfriend attended Bate's home.

The teenager yesterday told the court he went with the intention of "clearing the air" with Bate.

He said his girlfriend, who was a family friend of Bate's, went inside his home after noticing his lights on, a back door open and his keys on the floor.

The teenager said he did not enter the home and when his girlfriend returned and they tried to leave, Bate followed the girl and drew a samurai sword, striking them both.

The girl suffered minor cuts to her fingers and the boy yesterday told the court he was cut on the elbow as he tried to push his girlfriend out of the way.

"I put my hands up like 'I don't want any trouble'," he said.

"He said 'I'll f----- kill you', over and over again."

The boy denied making any threatening moves or remarks to Bate.

Bate then allegedly slashed the boy on his back, leaving a wound that required more than 30 stitches.

Barrister Robbie Davies yesterday questioned the boy about why he would go to the house of a man who had "terrified" him earlier in the night.

Mr Davies asked the boy if he had earlier voiced a desire to "smash" Bate for pulling a knife on him.

Although he admitted to saying it, the teenager said he made those comments earlier in the night and had calmed down by the time he went to Bate's home.

Mr Davies also suggested the teenager had gone into Bate's room with two others and moved property belonging to the man.

The teenager denies that was the case.

 


SCORCHER: Granite Belt braces for blistering heatwave

Premium Content SCORCHER: Granite Belt braces for blistering heatwave

Summer is hitting Stanthorpe with a bang, with the mercury set to spike to almost...

Everybody appearing at Stanthorpe Magistrates Court today

Premium Content Everybody appearing at Stanthorpe Magistrates Court today

Here is a list of matters listed at Stanthorpe Magistrates Court on Friday.

Qld economy lags but jobs bounce back

Premium Content Qld economy lags but jobs bounce back

Shut state trails all but locked-down Victoria in pandemic recovery