Swine flu still a danger
THOSE who thought swine flu was a distant memory should continue to be health-conscious as residents on the Southern Downs suffer from the extreme flu again.
Allora resident Scott Sparksman was diagnosed with swine flu last week and suspects his children and wife also had a milder case.
Still recovering from the virus, Mr Sparksman has been zapped of all energy after suffering from the worst virus he has ever had.
He was admitted to St Vincent's Hospital last Tuesday for treatment for serious dehydration after falling ill on Monday morning at work.
“I don't know how I got it; I would have to say it's the sickest I have ever been,” Mr Sparksman said.
Allora Medical Practice manager Sharon Caldwell said their surgery had some cases of nasty flu symptoms and they contacted Queensland Health after they received a number of positive results.
Mrs Caldwell said the doctors at the Allora Medical Practice advised most flu strains were managed by treatment of symptoms and staying at home to not endanger others.
Queensland Health said there had been far fewer cases of pandemic H1N1 influenza (swine flu) in Queensland this year compared with last year.
A spokeswoman said it was likely that the vaccination program had made a significant contribution to this.
Queensland Health has been notified of about 1800 cases so far this year. Of these, 10 were in the Warwick area and all of those were notified last month.
Warwick Hospital director of nursing Megan O'Shannessy said they had only had one confirmation of swine flu about four weeks ago, otherwise they have had their normal influx of locals with colds and flu.
She said the dramatic change in numbers infected compared to last year was evidence vaccination had been effective, as well as residents being more aware of good hygiene practices.
Ms O'Shannessy said it had been proven with swine flue that when residents were faced with an epidemic in the region they were now more aware of safe practices to prevent the spread of viruses.