FLOODING concerns regarding the Mary Harbour development have been addressed by MSF Sugar chief executive Mike Barry, who said extensive planning had been done to ensure the new development would not flood.

Roger Currie from the Wide Bay Burnett Conservation Council expressed some concern on Thursday, saying that 70% of the land MSF Sugar was intending to develop went under water when ex-tropical cyclone Oswald hit the region in January 2013.

However, Mr Barry said extensive modelling had been done to ensure the project would not be affected by any level of possible flooding, including the effects of a once-in-100-year flood.

>> Learn more about the plan here

Mr Barry said the possible effects of climate change had also been taken into account.

Mr Currie said it would be interesting to see how the project unfolded.

"If it's done right, it could be a real winner," he said.

But unless the State Government decides otherwise, the suburb will still only be accessible via the existing Granville Bridge.

Fraser Coast Regional Council Mayor Gerard O'Connell and MSF Sugar chief executive Mike Barry at the lodging of the Mary Harbour master plan.
Fraser Coast Regional Council Mayor Gerard O'Connell and MSF Sugar chief executive Mike Barry at the lodging of the Mary Harbour master plan. Alistair Brightman

 


Prepare to leave: Bushfire threat in southern Qld

Prepare to leave: Bushfire threat in southern Qld

Residents of Granite Belt have been told to prepare to leave

Firey’s urgent push for more small town recruits

Premium Content Firey’s urgent push for more small town recruits

In the thick of bushfire season, Southern Downs stations are calling for greater...

SWEAT SESH: Ironside’s milestone inspires growth in future

Premium Content SWEAT SESH: Ironside’s milestone inspires growth in future

One year after opening, the popular Warwick gym’s owner has revealed her secret to...