Stanthorpe civic centre repairs on track
STANTHORPE is on track to have its civic centre back by the beginning of next year.
Lengthy works on removing asbestos from the Lock St building have almost come to a close, after a devastating fire tore through the building in March.
Southern Downs Regional Council's manager for community facilities Michael Bell said the civic centre precinct had been fenced off for a number of weeks while smoke-damaged asbestos was removed.
"This work is nearing completion,” Mr Bell said.
"While this work has been undertaken, an independent occupational hygienist has been monitoring the air quality during the asbestos removal to ensure that no asbestos fibres were released into the air.”
Meanwhile, architects and engineers have been designing the new kitchen and supper rooms. Mr Bell said some works would include the main auditorium.
"A tender has been issued for this reconstruction work, and a briefing was held onsite (last week) to ensure all potential contractors are fully informed of council's requirements,” Mr Bell said.
Mr Bell expected the council would reach a decision on the successful tenderer at its general meeting on September 28.
"At this stage, Council still plans to have the Civic Centre back open for community use by January 1, 2017,” Mr Bell said.
"Council thanks the community for their patience and apologises for any inconvenience the fire has caused.” Mr Bell said anyone with questions about the civic centre's progress were welcome to contact the council on 1300 MY SDRC (1300 697 372).