Stabbing accused wins bail
A MAN accused of stabbing the mother of his child in an unprovoked attack in February has been released from police custody.
Matthew Keith Cullen was granted bail in the Warwick Magistrates Court on Tuesday after nine weeks in a cell.
It was the second bail application for Cullen, who was originally denied bail on February 6.
Police will allege the 30-year-old stabbed his girlfriend in the leg with a leathering tool, which bore a folding blade up to 100mm in length.
Cullen is further accused of enacting the February 5 attack while heavily intoxicated and while the woman was driving.
Magistrate Graham Lee this week told solicitor Sarah Gordon she would have to show a change in circumstances to allow her client to be released on bail.
Ms Gordon told the court her client had completed a drug and alcohol course while in prison and had been making progress after being medicated for depression.
"Since being in custody he feels a lot a lot calmer and in control," she said.
Ms Gordon conceded her client was "severely intoxicated" on February 5 and said he would be willing to comply with a no-alcohol order and submit to random tests.
The court also heard that Cullen's case was unlikely to be heard in the next District Court sittings and it could be some time before the matter was dealt with.
When asked what penalty her client was likely to receive if found guilty, Ms Gordon admitted it was more than he had currently served.
"If found guilty of all charges, he is likely to receive more time than he has currently done, I can't deny that Your Honour," she said.
Mr Lee granted Cullen bail, on the condition he reports weekly and refrains from drinking alcohol.
Cullen will now reside with his parents in Millmerran and was ordered to have no contact with his former girlfriend, other than to arrange contact with their child.
He was initially charged with unlawful wounding, possessing a knife in public and assault occasioning bodily harm, however the last charge has now been reduced to common assault.
If found guilty of unlawful wounding, Cullen faces up to seven years behind bars.
He is due to reappear in the court on May 8.