Posts for Springborg and McVeigh
UPDATE: DARLING DOWNS and Western Queensland will be very well represented in Campbell Newman's new government with senior appointments announced by the Premier today including Lawrence Springborg as Minister for Health and John McVeigh as Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.
Premier Campbell Newman today said he was delighted to make the appointments that would ensure the people of the Darling Downs and Toowoomba and Western Queensland had very strong representation in his new government.
"The days of the Darling Downs and Western Queensland being neglected and taken for granted are well and truly over," Mr Newman said.
"I am delighted to appoint long-serving Member for Southern Downs Lawrence Springborg as Minister for Health and newly-elected Member for Toowoomba South John McVeigh as Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.
"Certainly Lawrence Springborg is well-known to all Queenslanders through his many years in Parliament i n senior and party leadership roles and his role in forming the LNP.
"Lawrence has big job in refocussing management and direction of health in Queensland which has been so poorly managed for years. Lawrence is a tireless worker and brings previous Ministerial experience to my front bench."
Mr Newman said McVeigh would bring vast real-life experience to the Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry portfolio.
"Raised on a grain farm at Jondaryan on the Darling Downs, John has many years of commercial and agribusiness experience in local, national and international markets. He understands how essential our agriculture sector is to Queensland."
Mr Newman he was also pleased to appoint newly-elected Member for Nanango Deb Frecklington as Assistant Minister for Finance, Administration and Regulatory Reform.
"Deb grew up on a beef cattle property and a Business degree from the University of Southern Queensland and with husband Jason co-managed broad acre cr opping properties while completing a Bachelor of Law at Queensland Institute of Technology. She's understands farming, grazing, small business and is a specialist in family and property law."
Mr Newman said veteran western and north-western Members Howard Hobbs and Vaughan Johnson would also play key roles in government.
Member for Gregory Vaughan Johnson will be Chief Government Whip and Member for Warrego Howard Hobbs will chair Parliament's Transport and Local Government Committee.
"Both Vaughan and Howard have vast experience and are highly-respected Members and will play important roles in parliament - especially mentoring new Members."
The Ministry will be sworn in by Her Excellency Penelope Wensley AC on Tuesday.
Other ministerial appointments are as follows:
- Jeff Seeney - Deputy Premier, State Development Minister, Infrastructure and Planning
- Tim Nicholls - Treasurer and Trade Minister
- John-Paul Langbroek - Education, Training and Employment
- New MP David Crisafulli - Local Government
- David Gibson - Police and Community Safety
- Jarrod Bleijie - Attorney-General and Justice
- Bruce Flegg - Housing and Public Works
- Jann Stuckey - Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and Racing
- John-Paul Langbroek - Minister for Education, Training and Employment
- John McVeigh - Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- Andrew Powell - Environment and Heritage Protection
- Andrew Cripps - Natural Resources and Mines
- Mark McArdle - Energy and Water Supply
- Ros Bates - Science and Arts
- Ros Bates - Science, IT, Innovation and Arts
- Steve Dickson - National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing
- Jack Dempsey - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, Multicultural Affairs and minister assisting the Premier
- Tracy Davis - Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services