Smith's legacy is remembered
ONE of the late Doug Smith's pet-projects has been posthumously named in his honour.
It was Smith who had the vision to obtain the land on Rogers St, with a view to one day turning it into a car parking area for tourists and shoppers.
The car park, completed by council in late 2017 will now officially be known as the Doug Smith Car Park.
The former Stanthorpe Shire councillor and deputy mayor's name was one of nine differing options presented to council.
Samuel Lee's name was put forward, as was the option of Wells Car Park, recognising George and Dell Wells.
Former councillors Mally McMurtrie and Greg Thouard, along with Cr Vic Pennisi, were the driving force behind seeing the car park named in Smith's honour.
Mally, a long-term advocate for the car park, was also one of the names thrown into the mix.
"During Doug Smith's time as deputy mayor of Stanthorpe Shire Council he had the vision and advocacy that land was purchased for the specific planning of building a car park,” Cr Pennisi said.
Born in Stanthorpe in 1942 to parents Les and Gladys, he attended Stanthorpe State School until he left in Year 10.
Doug married Lyn Swaysland in 1966, moved away for a number of years but eventually returned to town, this time with three boys in tow.
The pair ran Furnishings 'n Things and later the Honeysuckle Cottages.
He gave his time to clubs including Apex, Lions, junior soccer, Apple and Grape Harvest committee, Probus, Meals on Wheels, was inaugural chairman of the Granite Belt Tourism Association and the council, for which he served as a councillor for 12 years.
Doug passed away in 2014.