Severe storms expected today
UPDATE, 3.24pm: A SEVERE thunderstorm warning has been issued for very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones for Warwick and other areas.
The Bureua of Meteorology reports that locations that may be affected also include Stanthorpe, Toowoomba, Dalby, Mitchell, Rolleston, Springsure, Kingaroy, Oakey, Inglewood, Jondaryan and Yarraman.
The warning applies to parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Wide Bay and Burnett, Maranoa and Warrego, Darling Downs and Granite Belt and Southeast Coast Forecast Districts.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover.
- Avoid driving, walking or riding through floodwaters.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance, contact the SES on 132 500.
The warning was issued at 3.24pm. The next one is due by 6.25pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219.