PARENTS, students and community members have called on the State Government to forgo the potential closure of eight Queensland schools.

But Education Minister John-Paul Langbroek has refused to rule out any future schools closures, either next year or into the future.

Hundreds of protestors gathered outside the LNP State Convention on Sunday to highlight the importance the schools being considered for closure play in their communities.

The State Government last week announced it would not go ahead with merging two Brisbane-based schools.

That decision still leaves eight state schools, including Toowoomba South State School, being considered to close its doors.

"There are eight schools that are still considered for closure and we will be coming to a decision by early August," Mr Langbroek told reporters on Sunday.

Mr Langbroek said he wanted mature conversation with people in those schools as community consultation continued.

A report on the fate of the eight schools is due in late July with a decision expected to be made by early August.
Caroline Bennett, Tooowoomba South State School P&C president, told the vocal rally on Sunday they were there for the children and for a duty of care.

"Our children in the course of the campaign they have been saddened by the fact their schools made be closed," she said.

"They don't understand what is going on. We have to provide our children with that voice.

"We are their voice because they don't have one."

Mr Langbroek said union-led hysteria was not going to made any difference to deliberations.


EXPOSED: Stanthorpe’s latest drink/ drug drivers

Premium Content EXPOSED: Stanthorpe’s latest drink/ drug drivers

Your full list of people to be sentenced on drink and drug driving offences this...

CRIME WRAP: Stolen car fire sparks police investigation

Premium Content CRIME WRAP: Stolen car fire sparks police investigation

A STOLEN car is at the centre of the Granite Belt fire, which has left police...

Labor commits to ‘second Bruce Highway’

Premium Content Labor commits to ‘second Bruce Highway’

Queensland Election 2020 : Labor commits to ‘second Bruce Highway’