Queen ‘distraught’ over Prince Philip

 

Queen Elizabeth II is enduring a challenging time during her decades-long reign.

In the month of February alone, it was revealed her grandson Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle will not be returning as working members of the British royal family.

It was also announced that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's sit-down with Oprah Winfrey will air on Sunday, March 7 - the same day as the 94-year-old's TV address for Commonwealth Day.

In addition, her husband Prince Philip was admitted to London's King Edward VII's Hospital a week ago after feeling ill. Buckingham Palace shared that the 99-year-old is being treated for an infection and is not expected to leave the hospital for several days.

RELATED: Philip's obituary accidentally published by news website

 

During England's current coronavirus lockdown, he and the queen had been staying at Windsor Castle, west of London.

"It's been a rough few weeks for the queen, that's for sure," a royal source told Us Weekly on Wednesday.

"The situation with Harry and Meghan has been challenging, and on top of that, she's distraught over her beloved husband's health setback."

Philip married the then-Princess Elizabeth in 1947 and is the longest-serving royal consort in British history. He and the queen have four children, eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

RELATED: Queen's cousin jailed for sex attack

 

"The queen has had some tearful moments mixed with anger and disappointment," another palace insider alleged to the outlet. "Emotions are definitely running high."

The source alleged Harry and Markle's move to the US has been "hard" on the monarch, especially now that the parents of Archie, 1, are expecting their second child.

"The queen has FaceTime calls with Archie, but it's not the same," the second insider claimed, alleging Elizabeth is "desperate to give Archie a huge hug."

Last week, the palace revealed Markle, 39, and Harry, 36, won't be returning to the UK.

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family," the statement began.

"Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service," the statement continued. "While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family."

RELATED: Minute-by-minute plan if Prince Philip dies

 

The palace said Harry's appointment as captain-general of the Royal Marines and titles with other military groups would revert to the queen before being distributed to other members of the family.

Harry, who served in the British army for a decade and has a close bond with the military, founded the Invictus Games competition for wounded troops.

The decision came one year after Markle and Harry announced their plan to step back as senior members of the royal family. At the time, they agreed to a 12-month review of the decision.

It was made after the pair held conversations with members of the royal family.

In response, a spokesperson for the couple said in a statement that "as evidenced by their work over the past year, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the U.K. and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role. We can all live a life of service. Service is universal."

In their January 2020 announcement of stepping back as senior members, Markle and Harry discussed their intentions of working independently, splitting their time between the United Kingdom and North America.

RELATED: Meghan and Harry's five-day Queen take-down

 

At the time, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said their decision came "after many months of reflection and internal discussions."

As for Philip, his youngest son Prince Edward told Sky News that the patriarch was "a lot better."

The 56-year-old said, "He's looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing, so we keep our fingers crossed."

Other members of the royal family have continued their official duties during Philip's hospitalsation.

Philip, also known as the Duke of Edinburgh, retired from public duties in 2017 and rarely appears in public.

Both Philip and Elizabeth, 94, received COVID-19 vaccinations in January.

This story originally appeared on Fox News and has been reproduced here with permission

 

Originally published as Queen 'distraught' over Prince Philip


‘Emotional’: Elation as NZ travel bubble opens

Premium Content ‘Emotional’: Elation as NZ travel bubble opens

Kiwis stuck in QLD jet home for first time as NZ travel bubble opens

DON'T MISS IT: Activate your free bonus for big rewards

Premium Content DON'T MISS IT: Activate your free bonus for big rewards

Did you know you can get even more – for free?

‘You are at risk’: PM’s vaccine plea

‘You are at risk’: PM’s vaccine plea

Doctors say thousands of doses are sitting idle around the country