Pet dies as blaze hits camp
AFTER a series of grassfires over the long weekend, outdoor adventurers are being urged to remain vigilant around camp fires this winter.
Warwick Fire Station officer Michael Coombes said there are a number of elements to camp fire safety.
"The most important thing for people to remember is that they extinguish their camp fire fully with water before they leave the site or go to bed," he said.
The Springs 4x4 Camping and Adventure Park owner Neil Taylor said the fire the park experienced on Saturday was the result of an unattended camp fire.
"The campers went out driving and when they got back everything in their camp had been destroyed but thankfully no one was hurt," Mr Taylor said.
The lesson learnt was made harder by the fact that one of the group's two dogs could not be revived after it suffered a cardiac arrest as a result of burns and smoke inhalation.
Warwick Town and Country Vets veterinarian Greg Harris said owners need to also consider the safety of their pets around camp fires.
"Dogs shouldn't be left tied up near fires just like you wouldn't leave your child in a similar position and walk away," he said.