Men charged after near-death shooting of boy, 5

Two men have been charged on multiple firearms offences relating to an incident that occurred on January 2 at Cottonvale.
Two men have been charged on multiple firearms offences relating to an incident that occurred on January 2 at Cottonvale. Contributed

JUST a month and a half on from a tragic shooting that nearly claimed the life of a five-year-old boy, two men have been formally charged.

The boy's 29-year-old father has been issued with a notice to appear in Warwick Magistrates Court for unlawful/unlicensed possession of a firearm.

A second man, the 63-year-old grandfather, has been issued with a notice to appear for unsecured storage of a firearm.

The father was charged on February 7, the grandfather on February 15.

Both men will front court on March 28.

A 13-year-old boy has also been dealt with under the provisions of the Youth Justice Act for his involvement in the incident, Stanthorpe Senior Sergeant Gerard Brady says.

"All that has been dealt with by detectives from Stanthorpe CIB," he said.

"Obviously the whole incident is a tragic thing really. There's certainly no indication there was any malice in the incident or any intent."

Snr Sgt Brady said the shooting should serve as a reminder to all firearms' owners.

"Out of it all, if there's one thing we can take away from this is the importance of firearms security within the community," Snr Sgt Brady said.

"Firearms only have to be left for a short time and can obviously have massive ramifications.

"It should be a timely reminder to everyone in the community.

"Not just that, but the possible ramifications legally for firearms owners can be significant.

"Fortunately in this instance, the outcome could have been a whole lot worse."

No further charges are expected to be laid.

The shooting occurred at a Cottonvale property on January 2.

The little boy was transported to Stanthorpe Hospital before being flown to Lady Cilento Children's Hospital in Brisbane.

Surgeons said the five-year-old was only a millimetre from death, with the bullet from a .22 rifle lodged in his spine.

Following three major operations, he was finally discharged from hospital on January 25.

Topics:  boy shot firearms charges warwick court

Stanthorpe Border Post

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

European visitors reach record high, but where are they?

DRIVING NUMBERS: A record number of international visitors made Southern Queensland their destination of choice last year, most of them being Europeans.

Is our region missing out on 20 per cent tourism spike?

Caravan and car collide on major Downs road

Paramedics are rushing to the scene of a rollover.

Paramedics assess two people on the scene of a two-vehicle crash

Local Partners