A NINE-month-old boy is in hospital after swallowing a button battery.

The boy, from the Sunshine Coast, swallowed the object at about 1.40pm on Monday and was taken to Nambour General Hospital.

Shortly after 3pm he was airlifted to the Royal Children's Hospital by the RACQ CareFlight Rescue to undergo further treatment.

He travelled in a stable condition with his mother by his side.

It was the second such incident on the Sunshine Coast this year.

In June, four-year-old Tewantin girl Summer Steer died after swallowing a lithium battery the size of a button.

It's prompted a warning on the dangers of the tiny toxic objects.

"Button batteries can lodge in the oesophagus of infants and cause serious injury or even death if they go undetected," CareFlight's Chief Medical Officer Doctor Allan MacKillop said.

"If they become stuck in the oesophagus they can immediately begin to burn, doing serious damage," Dr MacKillop said.

Summer Steer, 4, died after swallowing a button-sized battery.
Summer Steer, 4, died after swallowing a button-sized battery.

"Even if you only suspect the child has swallowed the battery, you should immediately take them to your GP or a hospital emergency ward.

"Early diagnosis is the key," he said.

Symptoms include: gagging, vomiting or spitting, abdominal pain and persistent drooling.


Pandemic fears plague Southern Downs poll booths

premium_icon Pandemic fears plague Southern Downs poll booths

SOME residents opt to “cop the fine” as health officials warn of danger.

SDRC ELECTION: Voters say it’s time for change

premium_icon SDRC ELECTION: Voters say it’s time for change

“Why would we vote them back in again?” Residents rally against previous...

SDRC ELECTION: Voices lost to coronavirus crisis

premium_icon SDRC ELECTION: Voices lost to coronavirus crisis

A SOUTHERN Downs woman speaks from compulsory self-isolation.