Man stung by deadly stonefish, rushed to hospital

BREAKING: Lifeguards at Bulcock Beach in Caloundra have treated a man who was stung by a stonefish this morning.

The 27-year-old man is being transported to hospital via the Queensland Ambulance Service.

It's Surf Life Saving Queensland's third reported stonefish sting in two weeks.

The backs of stonefish are lined with spines that release a venomous toxin making it the most dangerous fish in the world.

 

A stonefish was recently caught by a fisherman at Caloundra.



Photo Contributed
A stonefish was recently caught by a fisherman at Caloundra. Photo Contributed Contributed

Its venom causes severe pain and swelling and can kill tissues, stop your arms and legs from functioning and put your body into shock.

If stung medical attention should be sought quickly as the sting is serious and can be fatal.


GOOD BOY: 17-year-old dog protected missing toddler

GOOD BOY: 17-year-old dog protected missing toddler

17-year-old partially blind blue heeler protects missing toddler

Toddler and family dog found safe after police search

Toddler and family dog found safe after police search

Toddler, family dog found safe after being reported missing

Wickham's first truckies take amazing trip down memory lane

Wickham's first truckies take amazing trip down memory lane

Three decades later 6 drivers face up to the lens for poignant photo

Local Partners