Man released after threats to kill

A MAN who threatened to kill his wife just two days after being placed on a domestic violence order has been released from custody after 11 days behind bars.

On March 15, the Cambooya man was ordered to adhere to conditions of probation and a separate order that prohibited contact with his wife and their two children.

The order was prepared after the 49-year-old phoned his wife two days prior and threatened to kill her and later, shoot her horses.

Police officers attended the home following the phone calls and relocated the woman and her children to a safer location.

On March 17, which was also his birthday, the man arrived at a local polocrosse event to collect his son for a birthday visit.

On arrival at the grounds, the man was told his wife had changed her mind and the boy would not be going.

The Police Prosecutor yesterday said the man became enraged, telling the woman that he would "hunt her down and kill her".

The man then retreated to his vehicle and returned a short time later with one hand behind his back, creating the impression he was carrying a firearm.

Police in bullet-proof attire attended the scene of the incident, believing the man was armed.

Searches of the man and his vehicle failed to find a weapon.

At the time of the offences the man was on probation for two convictions for common assault and one of wilful damage.

During yesterday's proceedings it was established that those charges related to an incident in which he slapped his wife and her daughter and burnt some of his wife's property.

Defence counsel for the man told the court his client was suffering from mental issues resulting from severe financial stress.

He added that there was no actual violence during the incidents in question and highlighted that there was never a firearm during the altercation at the polocrosse grounds.

The man yesterday pleaded guilty to breaching bail, breaching a court order, breaching probation and was re-sentenced for the earlier charges of common assault and wilful damage.

He was sentenced to a total of three months jail, wholly suspended for 12 months.

COVID: What you can and can’t do in Qld right now

Premium Content COVID: What you can and can’t do in Qld right now

Deputy Premier rules out any changes to restrictions this weekend

Glorious arrival welcomed by Rose City gardeners

Premium Content Glorious arrival welcomed by Rose City gardeners

The spring rain has prompted some delicious innovation in the kitchen.

Man busted with weed, bong and homemade weapon

Premium Content Man busted with weed, bong and homemade weapon

The Stanthorpe man used furniture and wood to craft himself the dangerous item.