Little Athletics qualify for state
Little Athletics: GRANITE Belt Little Athletics had great success at regionals, with many qualifications to state.
Committee member Dan O'Dea said over the weekend, eight athletes from our fledgling club competed against the best the region has to offer at the Downs and South West Regional Championships.
"I expected some good results and for our young athletes to do us proud, but was blown away by the fantastic results they all achieved,” he said.
"I am sure most would have posted PB's and they all made finals in various disciplines.”
Results are as follows:
- Aiden McCosker - 60m Hurdles 7th / 100m Sprint 6th
- Addison McCosker - 60m Hurdles 4th / 100m Sprint 6th / 400m 8th
- Darcy Daddow - 100m Sprint 4th / Long jump 4th / Shot Put 4th / Triple Jump 3rd / 200m 5th
- Sara Navybox - 100m Sprint 2nd / 400m 1st / 800m 2nd / 70m Sprint 4th / 200m 2nd
- Liam O'Dea - 60m Hurdles 8th / 100m Sprint 11th / Long Jump 10th / 70m Sprint 10th / 200m 10th
- Maggie O'Dea - 800m 3rd / 400m 4th / Long Jump 9th / 70m Sprint 9th / 200m 8th
- Erin O'Dea - 800m 3rd / 1500m 5th / 60m Hurdles 11th / 100m Sprint 12th / 1100 Race Walk 6th
- Brigid O'Dea - 1500m 1st / Triple Jump 7th / 1500m Race Walk 3rd / 800m 3rd / Long Jump 8th
It was a huge achievement for these athletes and Sara and Brigid who became our first ever Regional Champions for our new club.
Those athletes placing 4th or better now have the opportunity to compete at the State Championships in Townsville next month.
The club is sure these athletes will be better after experiencing their first ever Little Athletics competition.
A big thanks to the parents who helped prepare our young athletes over the weekend and ensured they were at their respective events on time.
"The kids had a blast, as did we,” Mum Kel McCosker said.
"Can't wait to do it again.”
On Saturday the rest of the club was still training in Stanthorpe.
Clara Salazar at 55cm and Ben at 70 cm both beat their PBs at high jump.
Kiara Harvey at shot put got a new on at 1.88m.
Braylen Harvey achieved very well with a high jump of 1.07m and shot put 6.20m.
"While there were no PB'S achieved, credit must be given to all athletes who participated in the hot conditions,” said Toni Jackson of Little Athletics.
"Especially those who did both the 100m and 200m races.”