Homeless funds restored after a 18 months of uncertainty

AFTER months of doubt about the future of services that help homeless people, the sector has welcomed a two-year reprieve, with $115million in funding restored.

The Labor government's cut to the National Partnership Agreement on Homelessness was not restored in the Abbott gov-ernment's first budget.

But after 18 months of uncertainty about what would happen after this July this year, Social Services Minister Scott Morrison on Monday said the funding would be restored.

The money goes to first-response services and long-term help for homeless people, much of which goes to helping domestic violence victims escape from violent relationships.

The sector welcomed the restoration of the funds, with the Australian Council of Social Service saying the government had recognised the role of violence in homelessness.

About 10,000 of the 254,000 people who sought help last year were young people.


Hotspot lockdowns not statewide restrictions: Premier

Premium Content Hotspot lockdowns not statewide restrictions: Premier

Annastacia Palaszczuk says decision on opening SA to be made at end of month

Stanthorpe Magistrates Court appearances for today

Premium Content Stanthorpe Magistrates Court appearances for today

Here is a list of matters listed at Stanthorpe Magistrates Court

State cutting it fine on $5.6b deadline

Premium Content State cutting it fine on $5.6b deadline

Coronavirus Qld: State yet to lodge international student plan