THE State Government has again failed to rule out that a dam may eventually be built in the Mary Valley at Traveston.
Neither Water Minister Mark McArdle nor Resources Minister Andrew Cripps was prepared yesterday to commit to removing from legislation the designation of Traveston Crossing and Kenilworth as potential dam sites.
Nicklin MP Peter Wellington has been pursuing the government since its election to have reference to the two sites removed from the Mineral Resources Act.
However, after several failed attempts through written questions on notice to both Mr Cripps and Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney, he last week tabled a Private Members Bill. Mr Cripps when asked on Friday if he would remove the two listings, said he couldn't because the matter was now subject to Mr Wellington's bill.
Asked again today if he would act after Mr Wellington said he would remove his bill if the Minister did so, Mr Cripps replied that he now considered the most effective way of dealing with community concerns, was through the Parliamentary Committee process.
Mr Wellington said it was clear the government was up to something. "They clearly have an agenda but I don't know what that is," he said.
Asked if he would object to Mr Cripps removing mention of Traveston and Kenilworth from the Act, Mr McArdle toed the party line.
"The private members bill introduced by the Member for Nicklin has been referred to the Parliamentary Committee for Agriculture, Resources and Environment Committee which will consider the bill and advise the government on any future action with respect to the issues raised in the bill," he said in a statement.
Residents fought a five-year battle to block the former Labor government's plans for a dam at Traveston supported by their state LNP members then in Opposition in Queensland and federal LNP members.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.