Firies investigate chimney blaze
THERE was a lucky outcome for a Severnlea home owner this morning after a chimney fire got out of control.
Fire crews were tasked to the Recka Ln property just before 9am this morning with reports a chimney fire had spread to the roof of the home.
"When they arrived it appeared there was a small fire in the roof,” a QFES spokesperson said.
"They removed the iron roofing to investigate.”
On closer inspection it appears no damage was done to the roof and it was left in the hands of the home owner.
It comes as a timely reminder for home owners to ensure their chimneys are maintained.
Stanthorpe Fire Station captain, Ian Barnden, said as winter starts, the fire brigade gets a number of call outs to fires caused by dirty chimneys.
"People don't get them cleaned out properly,” he said.
Mr Barnden said chimney fires can cause an entire house to burn down as the fire can easily spread throughout the ceilings as the heat causes beams in the ceiling to ignite.
"You need a professional to clean them out.
"It's like maintaining your car. You've got to change the oil.”