Fate of Easterfest hangs in the air
EASTERFEST organisers are yet to decide whether the iconic festival will return to Toowoomba next year.
Event director Dave Schenk yesterday dispelled rumours that the event was to be cancelled, saying a decision hadn't been made one way or the other.
It came after a statement on Sunday stating that the future of Easterfest was uncertain because it had failed to meet its budget.
Mr Schenk blamed a drop in ticket sales and wet weather.
Yesterday's comments came as a photo circulated online claiming this year's festival would be the last.
"We chose to make that statement because we felt it was important to take the Easterfest family on the journey with us," he said.
"We want to let them know that we're in a tough situation."
Mr Schenk said the response from patrons was overwhelming.
He said offers of support and encouragement had been accompanied by sadness.
Mr Schenk said while Easterfest did not break even this year, it still brought thousands of people to Toowoomba.
He said Mayor Paul Antonio had expressed his personal support for the Christian festival.
Tickets for the Easterfest 2016 are still on sale.