THE Carnell Raceway debate continues as the proposal for 40 race days and driver training goes back before council.
Councillors considered a letter from objectors about the proposed increased use of the raceway at last week's monthly general meeting.
Southern Downs Regional Council Director of Planning and Environment Ken Harris said the matter was subsequently deferred until the September 25 general meeting.
He said it was stated in the council meeting agenda that objectors had advised they would not participate in mediation.
"The mediation was facilitated by council, but this was not part of a formal appeal process through the Planning and Environment Court, where strict rules apply around the mediation process," Mr Harris said.
"Council organised mediation in this case to bring the parties together to find some possible common ground.
"Council will consider the Stanthorpe and District Sporting Car Club application for increased use of Carnell Raceway and also the points raised in the objectors' letters at the next meeting."
Councillor Vic Pennisi said: "I feel finding a resolve on the Carnell Raceway issue will always be about a mediation process and I support that process," he said.
"When this first started I was approached by a representative of the submitters (objectors) who said they were keen to go down the mediation path."
There will be a report submitted to council before the September 25 decision is made.