RUINS: Margaret and Clive Smith have been left to sift through the ruins of three structures after a fire on Saturday tore through the buildings on their property.
RUINS: Margaret and Clive Smith have been left to sift through the ruins of three structures after a fire on Saturday tore through the buildings on their property. Liana Walker

Couple praise Good Samaritans, fire crews

A COUPLE has praised quick-thinking firefighters and two Good Samaritans for saving their property from certain devastation.

Margaret and Clive Smith lost three structures at their Goldfields Rd property on Saturday, but the outcome could have been much worse, the couple say.

"My husband has been doing a lot of welding over the years and a window was open and a spark must have got out,” she said.

"It's very dry and by the time he noticed smoke it was really too late to stop anything.

"We were really just trying to stop the flames getting to the other buildings but because the buildings were inter-connected it just went from one to the other.

"We were very lucky to save our house in the end.”

UP IN SMOKE: A blaze tore through the Smith's property on Saturday after a spark from welding started a fire.
UP IN SMOKE: A blaze tore through the Smith's property on Saturday after a spark from welding started a fire. Contributed

A mere two metres was the difference between their house going up with the rest of the structures.

"We were very fortunate that a couple camping next door saw the smoke and decided to see if they could help,” Margaret said.

"All I had was buckets of water to douse the flames and they were helping me. We don't have a lot of water in the dams so that's all we could do.”

Luckily, the Smiths had a five-metre pool full of water that they could bucket water from.

"They were all incredibly quick getting out here,” Margaret said.

"I think the ambulance might have arrived first and then two urban units from here and three local brigades turned up with the new fire tanker and a couple Warwick brigades.

"When they arrived we'd given up trying to save a couple of the buildings and were just trying to protect our house more. As for getting anything out of the house, there was just no time to even think about that. The cottage had gas bottles - Clive at least had time to take them off.

RUINS: Margaret and Clive Smith have been left to sift through the ruins of three structures after a fire on Saturday tore through the buildings on their property.
RUINS: Margaret and Clive Smith have been left to sift through the ruins of three structures after a fire on Saturday tore through the buildings on their property. Liana Walker

"It really could have been worse. If the wind had been a different direction, our house couldn't have been saved either.”

Margaret and Clive both gave a heartfelt thank you to all those involved in saved their home.

"I was just so impressed with the fireys and their organisation. We were incredibly lucky. A huge thank you to everybody who came and helped. I just have admiration for them.”

The couple was insured.

Stanthorpe Border Post

OPINION: Fresh season a thing of beauty

OPINION: Fresh season a thing of beauty

Blessed on the Granite Belt to have four distinct seasons.

Put your body to the test

Put your body to the test

Locals win plaudits at Spartan.

Finest singers head for Stanthorpe

Finest singers head for Stanthorpe

Voices will ring out in Stanthorpe for the eisteddfod