Fierce fire destroys shopfronts along Goondiwindi street
UPDATE 11:40PM: GOONDIWINDI police have revealed the toll of a fire that blazed through main street shopfronts.
A fire, which broke out at midnight on Monday, seriously affected O'Shea's BiRite Electrical store and its adjoining warehouse on Marshall St.
A police spokesman also said neighbouring stores, Innovations Hair Salon and Telecommunications 4 All Goondiwindi, had been damaged in the rescue efforts.
"The one store had a couple of stores on the other sides so there's been three shops, as such, affected," he said.
"They have both suffered as a result of water and smoke damage."
The spokesman said the town's historic Victoria Hotel had been untouched by the fire.
"Fortunately, Victoria Hotel didn't get affected, which would be the worst thing in the world."
UPDATE 1PM MONDAY: POLICE have confirmed that an electrical warehouse in Goondiwindi has been seriously damaged in a blaze that took place earlier this morning.
Police media said both O'Shea's BiRite Electrical and its adjoining warehouse had been involved in the fire which started at midnight.
They also said investigations were continuing into the case.
EARLIER: FIREFIGHTERS are battling a blaze that broke out in Goondiwindi overnight in a local business.
The structure fire started in Callandoon St at 12am this morning, with initial reports of a shed and powerpole on fire.
A QFES spokeswoman confirmed the blaze had engulfed the shed by the time firefighters arrived at the scene.
"When we got there, the shed was well involved," she said.
Firefighters worked until 3.15am to contain the fire to the shed and its adjoining commercial building.
A total of six QFES vehicles attended the scene, with some remaining on scene in an effort to extinguish hot spots.
QAS said all persons had been accounted for and no hospitalisation was required.