AHHH Christmas. I love it.
We all have our 'thing' and Christmas is definitely mine.
It doesn't matter where you live or what you believe, there is something magical about Christmas.
It really is an endless list of reasons, but I can narrow it down to my seven reasons I love the season.
1. Christmas carols - I love carols!
It doesn't matter if it's traditional or something a little more modern, carols never fail to get me into the Christmas spirit.
So in keeping with my Christmas tradition, I will be finding my way down to Carols by Candlelight tomorrow night to hear some of the classics.
2. Christmas food - my brother-in-law's leg ham, eggnog, fresh seafood, rum balls (my mum makes the best), trifle and pavlova (to name a small few).
3. Christmas movies - where do I start? Love Actually, It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, Die Hard (not sure if that one is actually a Christmas movie).
4. Family - it's the one time of the year that my family is guaranteed to all be under the same roof at the same time.
I once read a quote from an author that stated, "I love snow for the same reason I love Christmas: It brings people together while time stands still.”
5. The reason for the season - this one isn't for everyone, but I love Christmas mass.
I love watching the nativity scene re-enacted and I love the serene feeling I have as I leave the church.
6. The big jolly fellow in the red suit - yes, I believe in Santa Claus.
7. The paper takes a holiday (this reason is purely selfish) - and so do I.
For a whole three editions, The Border Post will be a distant memory as I eat too much, drink too much and spend quality time with those I love.
So as the countdown to Christmas begins, I hope you all take a moment to stop, be thankful for all the goodness in your life and soak in a little Christmas magic.
Oh, and there is one Christmas tradition that is as important to my family as the opening of presents - we all sit down on Christmas night to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
The Wantling family Christmas is not complete without a dose of Chevy Chase - we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny Kaye.
And when Santa squeezes down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of people this side of the nuthouse (a little editing in that quote).
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.