Menu
News

Bridging the gap

SLOW DOWN: Sergeant Dan O'Dea has said in the past the speed is a problem across such a narrow Carnarvon Bridge. Photo Ewan Leighton / Stanthorpe Border Post
SLOW DOWN: Sergeant Dan O'Dea has said in the past the speed is a problem across such a narrow Carnarvon Bridge. Photo Ewan Leighton / Stanthorpe Border Post Ewan Leighton

AFTER years of lobbying by motorists for upgrades to Carnarvon and Accommodation Creek bridges, it seems change is on the horizon.

While Carnarvon Bridge is located on a state-controlled road, Accommodation Creek Bridge forms part of the federally funded New England Highway.

Local member Lawrence Springborg said he would continue to campaign for the replacement of both bridges.

"I understand after discussions with the Office of the Transport Minister that funding for preliminary designs for Carnarvon Bridge has been allocated," he said.

A Transport and Main Roads spokesman said funding had been allocated under the Queensland Transport and Roads Investment Program 2012-13 to 2015-16.

"Timing for the construction of the replacement bridge is yet to be determined," he said.

"As part of our routine maintenance program, road surface repairs and resurfacing works are currently under way.

"Accommodation Creek Bridge initial planning looking at options for the re-alignment of the highway and replacement of the bridge was finished in 2010.

"We have submitted a business case for the replacement of Accommodation Creek Bridge with the Federal Government under the Nation Building 2 Program."

Southern Downs Regional Council Engineering Services director Peter See said the council had sought TMR's assurances that the bridges would be replaced.

Topics:  stanthorpe

Stanthorpe Border Post

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Town mourning as beloved 'treasure' lost

REMEMBERED: John Boucher on his Mt Tully property. Tributes are flowing in for the beloved Stanthorpe icon.

Citizen of the Year, John Boucher, passes away.

Men charged after near-death shooting of boy, 5

Two men have been charged on multiple firearms offences relating to an incident that occurred on January 2 at Cottonvale.

Cottonvale pair to front court charged with firearms offences

WARNING: Severe thunderstorm warning for Southern Downs

WET WEEK: Heavy rainfall could hit Warwick today with the chance of showers continuing for the rest of the week.

Goomburra drenched by 41mm in just 50 minutes today

Local Partners